Sunday, July 5, 2009

Hello everyone, I want to take some time to tell you how we met Mercy. It is a good thing that happened to us.

We had taken a lady to her home, who had been helping us distribute some things to some people. We thought there must be a quicker way home, so she gave us directions to go to the stop sign, turn left, and more directions. We promptly got lost. However, when we made the left turn, at the stop sign, we passed a home that was turned into a restaurant/art gallery. We thought we should check it out, someday.

A couple of Fridays ago, we were looking for a place to go for dinner, and thought about that restaurant. We drove over, but she was just closing, because her chef had gone back to his rural home the weekend before, and had not returned. She apologized, offered us some sandwiches, but we declined. She showed us through the gallery and restaurant, very homey. Then her daughter, Malaika come out. She is about 3-4 years old, very cute. We always carry some sweets to hand out to the kids we pass on the roads. I went out to get her a couple, and as I was getting them, I felt impressed, by the Spirit, to give her a study guide on the Plan of Salvation.

When I got back to the restaurant, I asked her what the most important thing in her life was. I was a little surprised by her response; she said it was her relationship with Jesus Christ! I complimented her for that, and asked her what the next important thing was. She hesitated, so I pointed at Malaika. She said of course, but everyone would say their children. I asked her why people would say their children were so important. Again, she paused, and said it was because they are a part of us, they are from us. I then asked her what she would do if her daughter was taken away from her. She got very quiet, and said she didn’t know, but she would probably cry a lot. Then I asked her what would happen when she died, what would happen to her family. She said they would be hers, but not really. I felt I should put my arm around her shoulder, and I told her, “I testify, in the name of Jesus Christ, that the authority to have your daughter sealed to you for this life, and through all eternity is on the earth today.” I tingled all over as I bore testimony to her that what I told her was true. She was really taken by that thought. We talked for a long time about the Church (she knew where the chapel was). I gave her the study guide as we were leaving. She said she loves to read things like that, and she would devour it that night.

We didn’t get back to see her until Tuesday afternoon. She was so excited to see us. She had read, and re-read, underlined, and made comments in the study guide, and on pieces of paper. We talked, again, for sometime. She said she believed everything that was in the guide. We arranged for her to come to the mission office, and taught her the 1st discussion. That went very well. She said she was reading the Plan of Salvation study guide, and it made reference to the Book of Mormon. She told us she wished she had the book so she could read it, and here we were giving her a copy. She is such a special lady. We love her, and her daughter.

Sister Bullock has told you in her letter today that she wants to continue studying so she can be baptized. What a wonderful experience that will be. We have been very blessed as we have talked to people we have met, about the Gospel, in our travels. Right now there are several who are studying with the missionaries, and we are teaching Mercy and Malaika. The Lord is pouring His Spirit on the people of Africa, and they are accepting the Gospel everywhere. It is wonderful to be able to tell them that the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth through Joseph Smith, that there has been a continual line of Prophets and Apostles on the earth since his day, and that we are guided under the direction of President Thomas S. Monson today.

We love you all.
Elder and Sister Bullock

No comments:

Post a Comment