Wednesday, April 8, 2009

April 8th

We had another eventful day out travelling with Pastor Sykyani (spelling??) in the rural area. More bad roads but I guess we should be getting used to that by now. We visited a preschool where there were about 50 orphans (3 - 5 yrs. old). They sang us a couple of songs: Go away Peter, go away Paul, come back Peter, come back Paul; Twinkle Twinkle Little Star; and ?? They like to sing. They are really cute little kids and they love having their pictures taken. I take them and show them and then just erase most of them after. Digital cameras are nice for that!

On our way to another school we passed two young men pushing a lady in a wheelbarrow (she was about 50ish I think). We stopped and I ask what was the matter with her. They uncovered her leg and showed me - there was a nasty sore and it was infected and dripping. They had been to a doctor and showed me a scribbler that had some notes in it - for a prescription but they didn't have money for it. I asked the Pastor if we could do anything and he said no. I asked what would happen to her if she wasn't treated and he said she would die. I wanted to give them money but they most likely wouldn't use it for the medicine. So sad. I gave her a hygiene kit that we had with us and she was very grateful. That is all we could do. I felt a little weepy after we left.

Next we visited another school - I will have to send pictures of it. It was very rustic -- closed in on 3 sides with a couple of log benches. 50 little orphans go there and they are fed a meal each day and get some schooling. They were not there today. The schools here just started a 4 week break. The lady at this place has 10 orphans that live with her and she takes care of them. Four of them were there when we visited.

From there the pastor took us to see the place where he wants to build a church and have space for more orphans (it was just a field). There were a couple of stores (not what we would call stores) on the road and there were several people standing around. We talked to one little family and I gave them a hygiene kit. I have decided that I want to carry some with me and give them out when I feel like I need to. I gave out 4 today. I like doing that - maybe it will help them in a small way.

We just have no idea back in America how simply we could live if we had to - there are so many here living with nothing -- a small hut/house to live in and a fire to cook their maize on. Maybe a change of clothes and a blanket, but, like I have said before, they seem happy and have big smiles - this is all they know.

We left the pastor out there and a 25 yr. old girl rode back with us to show us the way. She wanted a ride to Harare besides - she had her suitcase and was going to try and find a job. She was a nice girl with good English - I sure hope she finds a job. She said she had some family there but I'm not sure. We dropped her off downtown.

We just had an Elder go to the hospital and they took out his appendix yesterday. He seems to be doing better - we all hope that is what the problem was! Taylors said the hospital wasn't too bad. Another Elder has gone to SA for a hernia operation. I hope we don't have to do any of that here.

Time to head home. Will write more later. Love, Nancy/Mom

2 comments:

  1. That must be so hard to see some of the things that you do and feel so helpless in helping. I am glad you have kits to help out some.

    I have been wondering about the children and how excited they are to see their picture. I bet it's the first time for some to ever have a real good look at what their own faces look like. It must be shocking for some to see it for the first time. Unless they have something to see their reflection in prior to that. : D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi guys,

    You both look like you're settled into the African way of life!
    Obviously as we are in Alberta, we are envying the weather that you have.
    It's great to see you there helping people out and your comments on the hygiene kits, as small as that may seem, makes more of a difference than anybody realizes.
    The kids still ask after you and are missing you.

    Take care,

    Rob, Maz and the herd.

    ReplyDelete